Welcome to The Irish Guy. The purpose of this website is to provide information and observations about life in Silicon Valley from the point of view of an Irish immigrant. It covers topics as mundane as the choice of supermarkets and doctors to more important issues such as choosing where to live and how to choose a school. The goings on of day to day life will be documented and examined. The Bay area has teams in all the major sporting leagues and this site will provide a guide to those sports and teams.
There are also many great golf courses in Northern California- I will endeavour to try out and rate as many as I can for golfers thinking of coming either on business, on vacation or to live.
The site will deal with serious topics such as the US Presidential election and Brexit. Some of these articles will be well researched and long while others will be a more spontaneous and off the cuff commentary on current affairs.
A key feature of this site will be the videos of the Streets of Silicon Valley. These videos will take readers on a drive along the major roads of the Bay Area. This section will also take readers on a walk through the different “Downtowns” of the various cities that make up the Bay Area.
I will also use this space to reflect on the things that matter on the far side of the Atlantic Ocean. I hope to introduce people not familiar with Ireland to the world of GAA (The Gaelic Athletic Association). While I will also share my love for Liverpool F.C. as they chase their elusive 19th title. While my preview of the Premier League may make you some money if your state, unlike California, allows you to have a flutter (wager/bet) on the matches.
- Liverpool- Becoming a RedMy earliest memory of being "a red" was when I watched a match on a small portable TV(a 14 inch TV) that was sitting on a tall cupboard in the corner of a neighbor of my aunties' living room. I was about six weeks shy of my seventh birthday. It was a cup final — … Read more
- The Irish General Election 2020Irish people have a problem. The political system is broke. The 2020 campaign is well underway; however, despite people carefully choosing a candidate to vote for, they have no idea what the government will be once the votes are counted. It is almost certain that no party will win an overall majority, so the new … Read more
- The British General Election, 2019 (The Brexit Election)"Oh Jeremy Corbyn, Oh Jeremey Corbyn…." was sung at the Labour leaders rallies and even by football supporters at premier league games. It was believed that he was creating a "youthquake" that would shock the Tories and ensure that Boris Johnson's reign as British Prime Minister would be a very short one. Now, after the … Read more
- Why did Trump win the 2016 Election?As the early results of the 2016 election came in, it looked like the United States was indeed about to have its first female President. The networks were calling the early reporting states on the East coast for Hillary Clinton. The talking heads on T.V. had some discussion about the margin of her lead being … Read more
- Premier League Gameweek 13West Ham vs Tottenham Hotspur Jose is back. He is taking charge of a talented, if aging squad. Spurs have been underperforming for most of 2019. They are struggling to pick up points away from home, and their points total for the calendar year would have them battling relegation. Still, on their day, they are … Read more
- DeLaveaga Golf Course, Santa Cruz"If this is your first time playing here I hoped you brought lots of golf balls', warned the starter. She then helpfully advised "Don't miss right on the front 9 and don't miss left on the back 9". This is a very enjoyable trek, every hole a different test. We also did well on the … Read more
- Cinnabar Hills (Canyon 9)Cinnabar Hills is one of my favourite courses in the Silicon Valley. Three very different nine hole courses are available- Lake, Mountain and Canyon. This is a video of the Cannon Nine. Watch out for some fantastic views and the family of deer who were also enjoying themselves. https://youtu.be/MfUc1UTt-Z8
- Coyote Creek (Tournament Course)This Jack Nicklaus Signature Course is a real challenge. It is an excellent course. Every hole has something to make you think and it is easy to find yourself in trouble. A good tee ball is essential. Tournament is one of the best courses in Silicon Valley. https://youtu.be/tc9VnPNtsZc
- Why America is Not Great (Part 1)As we walked back to the car after I collected my daughter from school, she began telling me about her day. "We had a lockdown drill today, dad." "How was that?" I asked. "It sucks," was her reply. After I had a little chuckle to myself over her use of the Americanism, "it sucks" I … Read more
- American Football or RugbyThe Rugby World Cup was very disappointing for Irish supporters. We had beaten the All Blacks (New Zealand) twice out of the last three meetings. We hadn't beaten them in our history before the first of those two wins. Ireland had a well-respected coach, and the team had performed well enough to be ranked number … Read more
- Socialised Medicine vs Private Insurance"Are people's teeth in Ireland as bad as the rest of the UK?", my child's larger than life dentist asked me. We were meeting him for a consultation to see if our daughter needed to get braces. He admitted that he was quite shocked at how crooked teeth were in the UK. He said it … Read more
- Review of Premier League Game week 10There were some strange results this week that played havoc with my predictions. Due to these peculiar results, I only ended up with five correct predictions out of the ten games played. (1) Southampton vs Leicester City This was an extraordinary result. I thought Leicester would win, but I did not see a 9-0 scoreline. … Read more
- An Accent and a Language BarrierOscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw and even Winston Churchill are all supposed to have said that the US and the UK were two nations separated by a common language. This could also apply to Ireland. Many people that I meet here are unsure of the relationship between Ireland and the UK. The vast majority of … Read more
- Premier League Preview Gameweek 101) Southampton vs Leicester City This is a tough game to call. I keep expecting more from the Saints and St. Mary's is a tough place to for teams to visit. Having said that Leicester are a stronger team and have started the season well. My gut tells me this will be a draw, but … Read more
- What Makes America Great? Part 1.My daughter is taking part in her school play "Schoolhouse Rock". One of the songs that she is learning is "The Great American Melting Pot". The song is about how people from Russia and Italy were inspired by "Lady Liberty" and her book of recipes to come to America where "life might let them win". … Read more