Welcome to The Irish Guy. The purpose of this website is to provide information and observations about life in Silicon Valley from the point of view of an Irish immigrant. It covers topics as mundane as the choice of supermarkets and doctors to more important issues such as choosing where to live and how to choose a school. The goings on of day to day life will be documented and examined. The Bay area has teams in all the major sporting leagues and this site will provide a guide to those sports and teams.
There are also many great golf courses in Northern California- I will endeavour to try out and rate as many as I can for golfers thinking of coming either on business, on vacation or to live.
The site will deal with serious topics such as the US Presidential election and Brexit. Some of these articles will be well researched and long while others will be a more spontaneous and off the cuff commentary on current affairs.
A key feature of this site will be the videos of the Streets of Silicon Valley. These videos will take readers on a drive along the major roads of the Bay Area. This section will also take readers on a walk through the different “Downtowns” of the various cities that make up the Bay Area.
I will also use this space to reflect on the things that matter on the far side of the Atlantic Ocean. I hope to introduce people not familiar with Ireland to the world of GAA (The Gaelic Athletic Association). While I will also share my love for Liverpool F.C. as they chase their elusive 19th title. While my preview of the Premier League may make you some money if your state, unlike California, allows you to have a flutter (wager/bet) on the matches.
- Santa Cruz Redwoods
- Harding Park, February 2020
- Los Gatos
- Sit, Act and Vote- A Relic to a Bygone Era.There was more controversy in Irish politics last week when two Green party ministers failed to vote with the new government that they have just agreed to support. A Fianna Fail TD, Willie O’Dea, was annoyed that the new Green ministers got away with a slight reprimand, a gentle slap on the wrist, and were … Continue reading Sit, Act and Vote- A Relic to a Bygone Era.
- A Major Psychological Blow to Man Utd FansLiverpool are champions of everything. They are reigning European champions. They are reigning world club champions. And, most recently, they became English champions again. They achieved our holy grail after a long and, at times, painful 30-year wait. Reds all over the world rejoiced and celebrated this achievement. However, Liverpool’s success has exposed deep psychological … Continue reading A Major Psychological Blow to Man Utd Fans
- Ordinary Decent RepublicansIt is difficult for many Europeans to understand the attraction of the Republican party for the American people. Trump is considered a laughing stock and someone not suitable for any public office. However, even before Trump, the Republican party seemed very extreme to people on the other side of the Atlantic. They are against providing … Continue reading Ordinary Decent Republicans
- All Changed-Changed Utterly.A New Normal.Everything has changed. It has happened very quickly. Things that were important no longer matter. The Premier League, the NBA, the Euro’s, the golf (Masters, PGA tour, the Ryder Cup), and the Olympic games all centerpieces of the 2020 calendar are suspended, postponed, or canceled. Other major cultural and leisure activities have also not happened … Continue reading All Changed-Changed Utterly.A New Normal.
- Democrat Debate (Nevada 2020)Up until this point, the democratic debates haven’t been very enlightening as there have been far too many candidates on the stage, so topics got little more than a superficial treatment. There were, broadly speaking, two distinct camps, (1) the progressive camp and (2) the moderate camp. The significant difference between the two camps was … Continue reading Democrat Debate (Nevada 2020)
- Liverpool- Becoming a RedMy earliest memory of being “a red” was when I watched a match on a small portable TV(a 14 inch TV) that was sitting on a tall cupboard in the corner of a neighbor of my aunties’ living room. I was about six weeks shy of my seventh birthday. It was a cup final — … Continue reading Liverpool- Becoming a Red
- The Irish General Election 2020Irish people have a problem. The political system is broke. The 2020 campaign is well underway; however, despite people carefully choosing a candidate to vote for, they have no idea what the government will be once the votes are counted. It is almost certain that no party will win an overall majority, so the new … Continue reading The Irish General Election 2020
- The British General Election, 2019 (The Brexit Election)“Oh Jeremy Corbyn, Oh Jeremey Corbyn….” was sung at the Labour leaders rallies and even by football supporters at premier league games. It was believed that he was creating a “youthquake” that would shock the Tories and ensure that Boris Johnson’s reign as British Prime Minister would be a very short one. Now, after the … Continue reading The British General Election, 2019 (The Brexit Election)
- Why did Trump win the 2016 Election?As the early results of the 2016 election came in, it looked like the United States was indeed about to have its first female President. The networks were calling the early reporting states on the East coast for Hillary Clinton. The talking heads on T.V. had some discussion about the margin of her lead being … Continue reading Why did Trump win the 2016 Election?
- Premier League Gameweek 13West Ham vs Tottenham Hotspur Jose is back. He is taking charge of a talented, if aging squad. Spurs have been underperforming for most of 2019. They are struggling to pick up points away from home, and their points total for the calendar year would have them battling relegation. Still, on their day, they are … Continue reading Premier League Gameweek 13
- DeLaveaga Golf Course, Santa Cruz“If this is your first time playing here I hoped you brought lots of golf balls’, warned the starter. She then helpfully advised “Don’t miss right on the front 9 and don’t miss left on the back 9”. This is a very enjoyable trek, every hole a different test. We also did well on the … Continue reading DeLaveaga Golf Course, Santa Cruz
- Cinnabar Hills (Canyon 9)Cinnabar Hills is one of my favourite courses in the Silicon Valley. Three very different nine hole courses are available- Lake, Mountain and Canyon. This is a video of the Cannon Nine. Watch out for some fantastic views and the family of deer who were also enjoying themselves.