Welcome to The Irish Guy. The purpose of this website is to provide information and observations about life in Silicon Valley from the point of view of an Irish immigrant. It covers topics as mundane as the choice of supermarkets and doctors to more important issues such as choosing where to live and how to choose a school. The goings on of day to day life will be documented and examined. The Bay area has teams in all the major sporting leagues and this site will provide a guide to those sports and teams.
There are also many great golf courses in Northern California- I will endeavour to try out and rate as many as I can for golfers thinking of coming either on business, on vacation or to live.
The site will deal with serious topics such as the US Presidential election and Brexit. Some of these articles will be well researched and long while others will be a more spontaneous and off the cuff commentary on current affairs.
A key feature of this site will be the videos of the Streets of Silicon Valley. These videos will take readers on a drive along the major roads of the Bay Area. This section will also take readers on a walk through the different “Downtowns” of the various cities that make up the Bay Area.
I will also use this space to reflect on the things that matter on the far side of the Atlantic Ocean. I hope to introduce people not familiar with Ireland to the world of GAA (The Gaelic Athletic Association). While I will also share my love for Liverpool F.C. as they chase their elusive 19th title. While my preview of the Premier League may make you some money if your state, unlike California, allows you to have a flutter (wager/bet) on the matches.
- Premier League 20/21 Game Week 3Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 Brighton v Manchester United Brighton have made a very good start to the season. They gave Chelsea a tough game and then hammered Newcastle last week. Utd have started poorly and could struggle on their trip to the south coast. However, on paper, they should have too much for the seagulls. … Continue reading Premier League 20/21 Game Week 3
- A Return to Hope- The Democratic National Convention 2020In the run-up to the Convention, the Democratic party had two significant concerns. First, there were the fears of disunity between the various wings of the party, and then, worries over Biden’s potential for gaffs or looking like he was “mentally shot.” At least these were the concerns debated on the major television networks and … Continue reading A Return to Hope- The Democratic National Convention 2020
- Premier League 20/21 Game Week 2 (Predictions)(1) Everton vs. West Brom Everton had a fantastic result last week when they had an away win over Spurs 1-0. Not only did they secure the three points, but it was also an impressive performance. West Brom struggled against a strong Leicester team. Everton 2 West Brom 0 Home Win (2) Leeds United vs. … Continue reading Premier League 20/21 Game Week 2 (Predictions)
- Match Day 1- predictionsFulham 1 vs Arsenal 1 draw Crystal Palace 1 vs Southampton 2 away win Man City 4 vs Villa 0 home win Liverpool 3 Leeds 1 home win West Ham 1 vs Newcastle 1 draw West Brom 0 vs Leicester 2 away win Spurs 2 vs Everton 1 home win
- Premier League Preview and PredictionsAfter a short summer break and a truncated preseason, the Premier League is back. Once again, games will be played in empty stadiums. While the hope is that fans will return over the course of the season, there are also contingency plans to end the season if there are further outbreaks of the virus. We … Continue reading Premier League Preview and Predictions
- Carmel, California
- Santa Cruz Redwoods
- Harding Park, February 2020
- Los Gatos
- Sit, Act and Vote- A Relic to a Bygone Era.There was more controversy in Irish politics last week when two Green party ministers failed to vote with the new government that they have just agreed to support. A Fianna Fail TD, Willie O’Dea, was annoyed that the new Green ministers got away with a slight reprimand, a gentle slap on the wrist, and were … Continue reading Sit, Act and Vote- A Relic to a Bygone Era.
- A Major Psychological Blow to Man Utd FansLiverpool are champions of everything. They are reigning European champions. They are reigning world club champions. And, most recently, they became English champions again. They achieved our holy grail after a long and, at times, painful 30-year wait. Reds all over the world rejoiced and celebrated this achievement. However, Liverpool’s success has exposed deep psychological … Continue reading A Major Psychological Blow to Man Utd Fans
- Ordinary Decent RepublicansIt is difficult for many Europeans to understand the attraction of the Republican party for the American people. Trump is considered a laughing stock and someone not suitable for any public office. However, even before Trump, the Republican party seemed very extreme to people on the other side of the Atlantic. They are against providing … Continue reading Ordinary Decent Republicans
- All Changed-Changed Utterly.A New Normal.Everything has changed. It has happened very quickly. Things that were important no longer matter. The Premier League, the NBA, the Euro’s, the golf (Masters, PGA tour, the Ryder Cup), and the Olympic games all centerpieces of the 2020 calendar are suspended, postponed, or canceled. Other major cultural and leisure activities have also not happened … Continue reading All Changed-Changed Utterly.A New Normal.
- Democrat Debate (Nevada 2020)Up until this point, the democratic debates haven’t been very enlightening as there have been far too many candidates on the stage, so topics got little more than a superficial treatment. There were, broadly speaking, two distinct camps, (1) the progressive camp and (2) the moderate camp. The significant difference between the two camps was … Continue reading Democrat Debate (Nevada 2020)